Saturday 3 November 2018

Either, neither, any



Either (the same applies to the negative form - neither) is used when two objects/situations are being covered, as in “I don’t like either blue or yellow” Any is used when the number of alternatives is greater than two, as in “I don’t like any of these colours”. 

An important thing to note is that either is always followed by or, and neither by nor, so it is “I don’t like either blue or yellow” and “I like neither blue nor yellow”.

A point that can lead to difficulties is that either and neither are singular words, not plurals, so the grammatically correct thing to say/write is “Either you or I am mistaken”, but that does not sound quite right to most people, given that “Either you or I are mistaken” might sound more natural. You can avoid this problem by phrasing it differently, such as “Either you are mistaken or I am”, which sounds perfectly OK – whereas “Either you are mistaken or I are” would clearly be wrong!

And how should you pronounce either/neither? There would seem to be a fairly even split between “eether” and “eyether” – so the choice is yours!

(I am referring in this piece to British English – conventions could be different in other parts of the English-speaking world)

© John Welford

No comments:

Post a Comment