Wednesday 28 December 2016

Was Pythagoras the first vegetarian?



Vegetarianism has been around for a long time, although where and when the practice started is uncertain.

One candidate for being first to advocate vegetarianism is the ancient Greek mathematician and philosopher Pythagoras (c.570 – c.495 BC) – he of the famous theorem about right-angled triangles and hippopotamuses, although I might have got that last bit wrong.

Pythagoras required pupils in his school of philosophy to refrain from eating meat, his thinking being connected to his belief in reincarnation – if people could have new lives as sheep or cows, eating these animals could be seen as a form of cannibalism!

The modern notion of vegetarianism was given substance in the 1840s, and before that date anyone who abstained from meat-eating was often referred to as a “Pythagorean”.

I am virtually vegetarian in that I don’t eat meat, although I do eat fish. Although I agree with many of the arguments in favour of not eating meat I do not abstain for ideological reasons – I just can’t stand the stuff and never could!

For me, the taste and texture of all forms of meat are far from pleasant, and for many years I really could not understand how anyone could actually enjoy eating it. I used to think that they were undergoing some sort of penance, because surely nobody would choose to eat it if they didn’t have to! I have become convinced over time that meat does actually get eaten because people like it, but it still seems odd to me.

One of the things I looked forward to on leaving home and becoming independent was never having to eat meat again, and I am glad to say that I never have. Perhaps I am a direct descendant of Pythagoras!

© John Welford

No comments:

Post a Comment